Monday, April 2, 2012

It's better to look up than looking down!



    Last week. when we got home after writing to our families our tinaco had water. So we had running water again. We kind of fixed the leak. We just try to stop it so only a little still leaks but at night we have a full bucket of water to share at night half and half. It works perfectly now. We get just enough water that we need.
    Mom, I still have that peanut butter and jelly jar. I eat so many peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, Its close to being gone. I'm not sure about the appliances. I guess 110 like America. Our only small appliance is a blender and I'm not sure where Elder Wood got it. He bought it from another Elder. He doesn't know where he bought it. My companion is a smart guy. He got a 30 on the ACT score his junior year and didn't feel like taking it again. Did you know if you live in New Mexico where he is from and you go to a instate public university, all tuition is paid for if you maintain a 2.0. Its called the Lottery Scholarship. Apparently lot of people lose the lottery so that's where the money comes from.  

     I was slightly disappointed this Sunday. We left 45 Min's before church started (conference Sunday) to visit our investigators homes to remind them of church. We visited our top 3 families we have and only one mom came. Its important for investigators to come to church because they have to come at least twice to get an interviewed for a baptism. So we need them to progress. If they don't come to church in 3 weeks they are really not serious about the gospel. Lucia is the the mom who came and she has already shown early interest in a baptism however she has to be married. Not a lot of Dominicans are married. They say they are although they aren't by law. So, she has to do that before she can be baptized. She has an awesome testimony of feeling the spirit. She use to smoke then one day on the bus she just was like, "I'm done with smoking " and felt the strength to stop. She even remembered the year she stopped, back in 93. In preach my gospel it says your investigators have been prepared before we have ever came on a mission. I guess in this situation, almost back when I was born. Hopefully her daughter will also. The father is this German guy who cant speak Spanish or English and wants nothing to do with the church. We hope to find a German Book Of Mormon to give to him to read cause he is always reading on his porch. They have been together for about 3 years.  We are hoping to have 2 baptisms this transfer.

    They say baptisms are way hard in the campo and now I know why. Sometimes I wish they would just say they're not going to church instead of misleading us. I felt like Jeffrey R. Holland and plan to be a little bit more firm. I will have to express to them, "if you want us to return you have to make going to church a priority and you cant progress unless you come to church." My companion told me this statistic that out of 14 million members only 7 million are active and only 3 million are full tithe payers. We wonder why Jeffrey R. Holland is so bold and It's because anything less doesn't quite get the job done. I'm not going to be preaching fire and brimstone but be more firm with them. I have to go now. I'm love you all. Every day just seems to get better. Something I have learned is that this who I am. Kind of what Sister Tryons nephew said, to have a positive attitude is how it always should be...  To always look up! I read this talk. Well, Ive read many talks but in last conference Carl B. Cook said he was a little bummed his first week being a general authority. He felt heavy laden and the prophet walked in the elevator and Elder Cook head was still down not knowing who walked in. He than heard, "You know its better to look up than looking down." Its how I kind of felt. Looking down for whatever reason such as no electricity when we're suppose to, being hot, not understanding everything,or kids occasionally laughing at you. I than remember this story and tell myself Its better to look up than looking down. I've heard it takes a great missionary to be happy when things are going bad suppose to be happy only when thing are going good.



Yours truly

Elder Cudd

No comments:

Post a Comment